The IRCC has announced that parents and grandparents of Canadian citizens and permanent residents are eligible to stay up to 5 years at a time under the Parents and Grandparents Super Visa. All applicants who arrived in Canada after July 4 are eligible to avail the longer extended stay. However, all applicants who arrived in Canada before July 4 would have to compile with the original time they were granted to stay in the country.

Quote by the IRCC:

“You may be able to benefit from the increase in length of stay for an application submitted before July 4 even if the application was approved before the date, if you enter Canada after July 4. If you want to benefit from a longer stay, you’ll need to leave Canada before the end of your authorized stay and re-enter Canada after July 4, 2022. The border services officer may grant you a length of stay of up to five years if you still meet all the eligibility requirements for a super visa, or you can apply to extend your stay in Canada and be approved for an extension of up to two years.”

In the first quarter of 2022, Canada’s Parents and Grandparents Program welcomed more than 5,235 new permanent residents, a more than double increase compared to both 2021 and 2020.

IRCC has not yet started accepting applications for this year while working to process

and reduce their 2020 application backlog. More than 21,000 PGP immigrants are

projected to arrive in the country this year.

In 2021, the IRCC invited 30,000 applicants between 23rd September and 4th October.

Only those candidates were considered who had submitted an interest to sponsor form

between 13th October 2020 and 3rd November 2020.

This program is part of the Family Class Sponsorship Pathway. Under this program,

permanent residents and citizens of Canada can sponsor their parents and

grandparents to immigrate to Canada, receive Canadian permanent residence, and

eventually apply for Canadian citizenship.

Who is eligible to sponsor a family member?

The sponsors must meet the following requirements:

● Must be at least 18 years old

● Must be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident

● Reside in Canada, or plan to reside in Canada once the sponsored family

member becomes a permanent resident

● Must be able to provide for the basic financial needs of the sponsored for at least

three years

If you are looking to Study, Work, Visit or Migrate to Canada, talk to I Can Help Immigration Services, Canada’s No.1 Immigration & Visa Company to get the best help you need